Monday, July 1, 2013

Managing Tilt and Knowing When To Quit

I am the first to admit that there are many flaws in my poker game and my abilities are nowhere near those of the best in the world. But one aspect of my game on which I have always prided myself is tilt control ("tilt," for those who don't know, being the colloquial term for the state of making decisions emotionally, though it usually means playing angry and/or frustrated). For the most part, the last month or so I've been pleased with my tilt control and ability to maintain a calm, objective approach to playing. A couple nights ago I sat down to play a lengthy session, eager for the opportunity to sit with the generally weaker weekend players.

And then I started running bad. Any poker player who has played a decent amount experiences it and sometimes it's worse than you ever thought possible. And that night, boy was it ever. Getting outflopped over and over, specific players catching multiple hands against me, etc. But it quickly turned into more than running bad. I was making poor decisions with flimsy rationales: c-betting bad flops, calling down too light, etc. A few decent hands were saving me from completely hemorrhaging money, but I was allowing frustration to affect my play. In other words, I had no business playing poker right then. Aaaaaaaaaand then this happened (presented without comment):

Seat 2: UTGplus1 ($54.30 in chips)
Seat 3: Donzo ($178.90 in chips)
Seat 4: Small Blind ($52.25 in chips)
Seat 5: Big Blind ($99 in chips)
Seat 6: UTG ($229.53 in chips)
Small Blind: posts small blind $0.50
Big Blind: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Donzo [Qs Qc]
UTG: raises $2 to $2
UTGplus1: folds
Donzo: raises $6 to $6
Small Blind: folds
Big Blind: folds
UTG: calls $4
*** FLOP *** [Ad 9s Qd]
UTG: bets $3
Donzo: calls $3
*** TURN *** [Ad 9s Qd] [Ts]
UTG: bets $19.50
Donzo: raises $54 to $54
UTG: calls $34.50
*** RIVER *** [Ad 9s Qd Ts] [Tc]
UTG: checks
Donzo: bets $115.90 and is all-in
UTG: calls $115.90
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Donzo: shows [Qs Qc] (a full house, Queens full of Tens)
UTG: shows [Td Th] (four of a kind, Tens)
UTG collected $357.30 from pot

That was my cue to get out of there immediately, and I did. But in truth, I should've quit well before then. The moment I felt my anger and frustration rising was when I needed to at minimum step away from the tables for 10 minutes and potentially take the evening off and start fresh the next day. But instead, like a big dumb idiot, I was all like "RAAHHHHH, I'M A MAN!!!" and was set on proving that these nameless yahoos weren't gonna outplay ME.

For most poker players, our egos are a dangerous thing, and we must take care to both realize when we're slipping into a tilted mindset and immediately stop playing when we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment