Wednesday, May 29, 2013

"Insignificant" Hands

I'm going to talk briefly about the importance of capitalizing on spots to extract value, even when it seems like a waste of time. In the hand below, it's folded around to the small blind who limps and I am holding a pretty terrible hand, 73 suited.

Seat 1: Dealer ($13.95 in chips)
Seat 2: Small Blind ($10.60 in chips)
Seat 3: Big Blind [ME] ($31.63 in chips)
Seat 4: UTG ($13.04 in chips)
Seat 6: UTG+1 ($26.57 in chips)
Small Blind : Ante/Small Blind $0.10
Big Blind  [ME] : Big blind/Bring in $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Big Blind  [ME] : Card dealt to a spot [3d 7d]
UTG : Folds
UTG+1 : Folds
Dealer : Folds
Small Blind : Calls $0.15
Big Blind  [ME] : Checks
*** FLOP *** [3h 5s 5h]
Small Blind : Checks
Big Blind  [ME] : Bets $0.25
Small Blind : Calls $0.25

I could raise the limper, but am perfectly happy to see a free flop. The flop is pretty good for me, as it's a paired board and I'm holding a 3. The SB checks and I bet $.25 into $.48 after rake. I bet the minimum because I'm looking to get called by as wide a range as possible--anything from overcards to just an A high or heart flush draw, a call I might not get if I'm making a pot size bet. 

*** TURN *** [3h 5s 5h] [9s]
Small Blind : Checks
Big Blind  [ME] : Bets $0.50
Small Blind : Calls $0.50

The turn fills in whatever hands he was calling with that have a 9 (A9, K9, suited hearts with the 9), but otherwise is not a particularly concerning card. It also creates another potential draw with spades. The SB checks again and I make another half-size pot bet to get value from the hands mentioned on the flop as well as any high card hands that gained a flush draw with the second spade. 

*** RIVER *** [3h 5s 5h 9s] [Qd]
Small Blind : Checks
Big Blind  [ME] : Checks

The river brings a pair for some of the flush draws, but is otherwise a blank. I debated a small third bet for value here, but was content to check behind with what I thought was usually going to be the best hand. The SB shows A7 of spades for a high card that turned into a flush draw on the turn.

Get Value Whenever and Wherever You Can

When holding a weak hand in a situation like the one described above, many players will simply mentally check out of the hand and prepare for a more interesting one. This is a mistake. If you're playing 12+ tables at a time then such attention to detail is not always feasible. But if it's only 1-2 tables, don't just say "meh." Instead, look at the hand as an opportunity to push the skill advantage you have over your opponent. Or if you don't have a skill advantage, at least look at the situation as a learning opportunity.

One might say, "So what, you only won an extra 75 cents." To which I respond, "I sure did!" Profit is the same in the end, whether it comes from a 400 big blind pot or an 8 big blind pot. To maximize profit, don't pass up those subtle little spots where there's money to be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment